Dark Sweet and Sour Rye Bread
This is such a delicious recipe for a home-made bread! I got this recipe from my mom. She always make this during the holiday season and it’s one of my favourite bread recipes. I made it for a test group about a week ago and everybody loved it! :)
I think it is great for any occasion since it is very tasty and it works great with appetizers or just like that with some salted butter!
This recipe makes 2 loafs:
1 litre Butter Milk
75 g Yeast
3 dl Dark Syrup
3 dl Beer Malts
3 dl Rye Flour
3 dl Wheat Germ
1 tbsp Salt
10 dl All purpose Flour
0,5 dl Dark Syrup+ 1,5 dl Water (for spreading it on top of the loafs during baking)
Butter for the loaf pans
1. Warm up the butter milk. Add the yeast and mix.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. Let the dough rise for 1,5 hours.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 175 °C/ 345 ° F. Spread butter on the loaf pans and divide the dough in to two separate pans.
5. Bake the breads on the lowest level in the oven for 1,5 h hours. Spoon some syrup water on the loafs and bake another 30 minutes.
6. Take the loafs out of the pans on an oven grid and let rest and cool down under a cotton cloth.
Enjoy with salted butter! :)
Chef’s note: This bread stores very well. In order to make sure that it stay’s fresh keep it in the fridge. I like to also sometimes slice it ready into very thin slices and then freeze the slices for later use. This way you can take out one slice when ever needed, pop it in the toaster and it tastes like freshly baked!